As scalp and hair physicians, we are always looking for more proven ways to help the thousands of women suffering from FPHL (Female Pattern Hair Loss) and know using multiple medical therapies at once can create a synergism, which cannot be achieved by any one treatment alone. What sets our course of treatment apart from purchasing advertised “hair growth” fad products or gimmicks is the medical research performed to support the hair loss treatments we prescribe for FPHL.
Dr. Gray attended the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery’s 23rd Annual Scientific meeting this past fall in Chicago. There was a wealth of scientific information and studies presented to help physicians better treat their patients suffering from hair loss. One of the studies discussed is a new approach called the Triple Therapy.
About Triple Therapy
This approach consists of using a triple-pronged treatment attack all at once (at home!), to fight FPHL.
- Formula 82M: A topical prescription medication made up of minoxidil 5% combined with Retin-A and steroids. The Retin A helps with the absorption of the other key components.
- Vitamins: Taking tablets containing specific nutrients that are essential for hair growth, including B Vitamins, folate, zinc, biotin, and L-cycstine.
- Low-level Laser Therapy (LLLT): An FDA-approved, non-surgical therapy using infrared light to stimulate wound healing, mitochondrial DNA, and cytokine secretion. LLLT has been found to increase hair thickness and hair count.
Scientific Support: Let’s Check The Numbers
To test this triple treatment at once approach, a group of patients was divided into two.
- Used Formula 82M, Vitamins, and LLLT (all three treatments) for 14 months.
- They were first evaluated with photography and Hair Check (which measures hair bundle mass) and their initial measurements were noted.
- A follow-up with photography and Hair Check was done with the patients at 7 and 14 months for comparison.
RESULTS: At seven months, the hair bundle mass measurement improved 22%, and at 14 months, the hair bundle mass measurement improved 28%.
- Used ONLY two treatments: Formula 82M and vitamins for 14 months.
- They were first evaluated with photography and Hair Check and their initial measurements were noted.
- A follow-up with photography and Hair Check was done with the patients at 9 and 14 months for comparison.
RESULTS: There was an improvement, but not as significant as Group A, who ALSO used LLLT. In this group, there was a mean improvement in the hair bundle mass measurement of 21% at nine months and 19% at 14 months.
What Does This Tell Us?
The key is in the combination. Using Formula 82M, taking vitamins, and adding LLLT all at once is a proven way to fight FPHL. Many women we see have spent years trying various treatments one at a time, on and off, for FPHL, with little to no improvement.
HT&RC Triple Therapy Approach
- Formula 82M: Dr. Gray will write you a prescription for this topical medication, which is mailed directly to you. The solution should last you for about 3 months, applying 20 drops per day.Formula 82M-2
- Vitamins: We carry 60 tablet bottles of Help Hair vitamins containing specific nutrients that are essential for hair growth, including B Vitamins, folate, zinc, biotin, and L-cycstine. These vitamins are to be taken daily.Help Hair vitamins
- LLLT: We also carry the Capillus82 laser cap, which is a low-level laser therapy in the convenient form of a baseball cap. It comes with a carrying case, charger, and has a one year warranty. You simply wear the cap for 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week. That’s it!Capillus82 Box with Cap
Personal Treatment Decisions
Treatment choices are made for various personal reasons, but we frequently hear a deciding factor is associated prices, which is understandable. However, even though this three-pronged treatment does cost more than a single treatment, the approach has been proven scientifically to work, and it is important to understand the value in that. We know it delivers results, and we have an idea of the time frame when you should start seeing them. More importantly, no more time is wasted suffering and searching for an answer that may not materialize.
So, while it is true that any one of these therapies is much better than doing nothing at all, as shown above, the greatest strategy to fight FPHL straight on is by combining not just two of these therapies, but all three, the most important being the LLLT.
At HT&RC, we offer our female patients all of these treatments in the Triple Therapy approach. Dr. Gray would love to discuss with you the benefits of combining three treatments at once for FPHL Please contact us to set up a one-on-one consultation.